It was love at first sight when I arrived at the island about 13 years ago. The tranquility, nature, food; it feels like a second home. Even though we have been there several times, we keep on discovering new places; I’m sitting behind Mr G. on the scooter with my hair blowing in the wind. Or with our rented boat: after every rock there’s another stunning deserted beach. Oh, I love Ibiza.
My friend Nelien gave me a beautiful cookbook a few years ago: “Ibiza & Formentera – gastronomía y cocina”. Indeed, a cookbook in Spanish and I don’t speak any Spanish ;-). This year we will have to do without a return ticket to paradise so I decided to bring Ibiza to Amsterdam: I made greixonera from the cookbook. Greixonera is a kind of bread pudding, a typical dessert of the Balearic Islands that takes its name from the flat stone tray in which it is baked. The main ingredient is the enseimada: a sweet, rolled sandwich made with lard. The greixonera is often made with enseimadas from the previous day.
I close my eyes, take a bite from the Greixonera, Ibiza music is playing in the background and we end the meal with a glass of Hierbas in Ibiza we bought last year – that’s the closest you can get in Amsterdam.
Holidays have begun, also for Miss Gingerish. Therefore, the next three weeks I will share easy, tasty summer recipes that fit perfectly with the holiday atmosphere. Sometimes quick and easy meals for camping, other times a bit more fancy recipes to enjoy a long night in the garden with friends. Three weeks of not too much “chatting”, just some fine pictures and a delicious recipe ;-). I wish you all a great summer!
- 300 ml milk
- 1/2 small cinnamon stick
- Peels of half a small lemon
- 100 g sugar
- 2 large or 4 small enseimadas (or brioche, croissants, cake), roughly chopped
- 2 large or 3 small eggs
- Optional: cinnamon
- Bring the milk to a boil with the sugar, lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Remove the pan from the heat once the milk is boiling and allow to cool completely
- Once the milk has cooled, remove the lemon peel and cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them well
- Mix the beaten eggs with the milk and add the sliced enseimadas
- Pour the mixture into a greased, flat oven tray
- Bake the greixonera for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven
- Optional: sprinkle with cinnamon