Isn’t it great when children eat well and love to help in the kitchen? I have two lovely nieces ages 8 and 5, which stayed over for a night. In the car on our way to Amsterdam the youngest already asked what we would have for dinner because she was “really craving for wraps”
Since they both also like to help in the kitchen, I was prepared and I had coincidentally bought everything to make wraps. Lucky little ladies: they could help me cooking and create their own wrap at the table!
These wraps are full of veggies and delicious crispy chicken; just choose the vegetables your kids like best. Instead of a fat dressing, we made a sweet mango sauce: happy kids and happy parents!
Holidays have begun, also for Miss Gingerish. Therefore, the next three weeks I will share easy, tasty summer recipes that fit perfectly with the holiday atmosphere. Sometimes quick and easy meals for camping, other times a bit more fancy recipes to enjoy a long night in the garden with friends. Three weeks of not too much “chatting”, just some fine pictures and a delicious recipe ;-). I wish you all a great summer!
Wraps with homemade chicken nuggets, mango sauce and vegetables
Makes 4 wraps
- 4 ready-made whole wheat tortilla wraps
- 400-500 gr chicken breast
- 10 toast crackers
- 6 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 ripe mango
- Vegetables of choice cut into in small pieces (tomato, pepper, cucumber, carrot, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
- Place the crackers in a sealable plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin until fine crumbs (KIDS TASK!)
- Take two deep plates. Whisk the egg in one plate. Add the cracker crumbs along with the grated coconut, salt and pepper in the other plate and mix well (KIDS TASK!)
- Cut the chicken into pieces of approx.. 3×3 cm, make sure they are about the same size so that they cook evenly
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then in the crumbs; set on a lined baking tray (KIDS TASK!)
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with olive oil and bake for 20-30 minutes in the preheated oven, turn halfway
- In the meantime cut the vegetables into pieces. Serve them in nice little bowls so everyone can choose their own filling (KIDS TASK!)
- Peel the mango, cut into pieces and puree with a hand blender. Serve in a bowl
- Bake wraps briefly in the pan, oven or microwave as directed on the package and serve on a plate
- Serve the chicken nuggets in a bowl once they’re cooked. Let the kids pick their own filling (KIDS TASK!)
- Roll up the wrap – enjoy!