Comfort food – Brussels sprouts from the oven
I love autumn. Sunny days, red-cheeks from the cold but clear blue sky, all those beautiful colours outside … As long as it’s not grey and rainy, I think this is a beautiful season!
I also love autumn food. Mushrooms, celeriac, chicory, pumpkin and beets: all delicious! That feeling of coming home in the evening when it’s already dark outside, heat up over a large cup of steaming soup, casserole or tasty stew.
Comfort food is the right word for that autumn feeling, and these Brussels sprouts from the oven are definitely comforting. Quick and easy, perfect for a weekday. When you stir fry sprouts or bake them in the oven the taste really is a lot less bitter than when you boil them. So even if you were not a real sprouts fan, just try this dish!
Sprouts from the oven
- 50 g bacon, sliced into small cubes
- drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 200 g Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved if necessary
- 200 g potatoes with skin on, cut into quarters
- 2 beets, peeled and diced
- 1 apple, skin on and diced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- 2 handfuls of hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Heat a pan over medium heat and fry the bacon until crispy
- Just before taking off the heat: add a dash of maple syrup to the bacon and stir. Set aside
- Mix the garlic, sprouts, potatoes, beetroot and apple in an oven tray
- Stir with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Add the bacon with maple syrup and spread the hazelnuts over the vegetables
- Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven
Got hungry? For more recipes, behind the scenes and favourites follow Miss Gingerish on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest
Have you made one of Miss Gingerish’ recipes? I would love to see your kitchen creations! Simply share on social media: tag @missgingerish on Instagram or Twitter