Easy weekday recipes you cook on a regular basis; we probably all have our favourites. You wouldn’t share these recipes with your friends and family, simply because it’s such an ordinary dish for you. Recognise it?
My easy weekday recipe I didn’t think of sharing so far is sweet potato mash. When I came across the above picture I made half a year ago, I actually realised these kind of fast and easy weeknight recipes deserve to be shared!
You can endlessly vary with sweet potato mash. I sometimes make a vegetarian, Italian version with sundried tomatoes, rocket and pine nuts but also a winter version with bacon, smoked sausage and endive – the ultimate comfort food! I like it all, as long as there are plenty of vegetables and something crunchy like nuts.
So the recipe below is just one idea: just use your imagination and add the ingredients you like!
Sweet potato mash with smoked chicken and roasted nuts
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- splash of almond milk (or regular milk)
- 6 large (chestnut) mushrooms, sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 handfuls of fresh, rinsed spinach
- 100 g smoked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 handfuls of mixed nuts
- handful of fresh mint or basil leaves, coarsely torn
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until tender
- Meanwhile, briefly toast the mixed nuts in a dry pan. Let cool and coarsely chop
- Fry the mushrooms in a little oil
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes
- The potatoes will be ready by now: drain and keep a little of the liquid
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a masher or a fork. Add a splash of almond milk and id necessary some of the reserved cooking liquid. Put aside
- Let the spinach wilt with the mushrooms and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
- Add the vegetables, smoked chicken and half of the nuts to the sweet potato mash. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper
- Divide the sweet potato mash over two plates and finish with the fresh herbs and remaining roasted nuts
What is your favourite easy weekday recipe? I would love to hear, leave your message below!