Sweet potato mash with roasted nuts
Easy weekday recipes you cook on a regular basis; we probably all have our favourites. You wouldn’t share these recipes with your friends and family, simply because it’s such an ordinary dish for you. Recognise it?
My easy weekday recipe I didn’t think of sharing so far is sweet potato mash. When I came across the above picture I made half a year ago, I actually realised these kind of fast and easy weeknight recipes deserve to be shared!
You can endlessly vary with sweet potato mash. I sometimes make a vegetarian, Italian version with sundried tomatoes, rocket and pine nuts but also a winter version with bacon, smoked sausage and endive – the ultimate comfort food! I like it all, as long as there are plenty of vegetables and something crunchy like nuts.
So the recipe below is just one idea: just use your imagination and add the ingredients you like!
Sweet potato mash with smoked chicken and roasted nuts
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- splash of almond milk (or regular milk)
- 6 large (chestnut) mushrooms, sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 handfuls of fresh, rinsed spinach
- 100 g smoked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 handfuls of mixed nuts
- handful of fresh mint or basil leaves, coarsely torn
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until tender
- Meanwhile, briefly toast the mixed nuts in a dry pan. Let cool and coarsely chop
- Fry the mushrooms in a little oil
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes
- The potatoes will be ready by now: drain and keep a little of the liquid
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a masher or a fork. Add a splash of almond milk and id necessary some of the reserved cooking liquid. Put aside
- Let the spinach wilt with the mushrooms and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
- Add the vegetables, smoked chicken and half of the nuts to the sweet potato mash. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper
- Divide the sweet potato mash over two plates and finish with the fresh herbs and remaining roasted nuts
What is your favourite easy weekday recipe? I would love to hear, leave your message below!
Got hungry? For more recipes, behind the scenes and favourites follow Miss Gingerish on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest
Have you made one of Miss Gingerish’ recipes? I would love to see your kitchen creations! Simply share on social media: tag @missgingerish on Instagram or Twitter