Weekends are for long and lazy breakfasts. This granola is perfect for that occasion but also a quick and delicious option for weekdays.
What is granola? It’s a mix of nuts, cereals and seeds (which together makes muesli), sweetened with for example honey and then roasted in the oven (now how have granola!). Granola can be eaten on its own as a crunchy, sweet snack but I think it’s best with some yoghurt and topped with extra fresh fruit.
This recipe for a basic granola is really versatile; simply add ingredients you like. My favourite is granola with mixed spices and orange zest, but I also like it with raw cacao nibs or coconut flakes. And good to know: this granola is free of gluten and sugar, unlike the muesli or granola you usually buy in the supermarket!
I recommend to bake a full tray right away; when stored in a sealed jar, you can keep your granola 2 to 3 weeks.
- 150 gr of (raw) oats
- 150 gr of your favourite nuts (raw and unsalted)
- 50 gr of your favourite seeds like sunflower seeds, pine nuts and flax seed
- 4 tbsp. of rice syrup (or another sticky sweetener)
- 4 tbsp. of melted coconut oil (or sunflower oil)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
- Scoop the mix on a lined baking tray
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned
- Allow to cool and store in a jar
As mentioned this is only a basic recipe: you can add all kinds of extras like cinnamon, raisins, dates, coconut flakes etc. Please note that dried fruits should only be added after baking.
What is your favourite granola mixture? Leave a reply and above all enjoy your long and lazy weekend!