Easy burger topping – red onion jam
With a homemade bun or healthy spelt roll, with tomato ketchup or hummus, pickles or grilled vegetables, tartar or wagyu meat; actually I like it all when it comes to burgers.
The hamburger is a regularly seen dish on Miss Gingerish’ kitchen table. Despite the variation there is one topping which we make all the time and goes with any burger: this red onion jam. Simple, fast and so much better than raw onions on your burger!
Red onion jam
Makes 2 portions
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 tsp. of chilli flakes
- 1 clove
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 25 ml of red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of light brown caster sugar
- Sunflower oil
- Peel the onions and cut them into thin half slices
- Lightly crush the clove. Heat the oil in a small saucepan and fry the onion on low heat for 25 minutes, together with the chilli flakes, clove and cinnamon stick. Stir regularly
- After 25 minutes add the vinegar and sugar, stir well
- Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes until the vinegar has evaporated and it’s a coarse jam
- Let the jam cool, remove the cinnamon stick and clove. Store the jam in a clean jar, keep it in the fridge
This delicious burger topping even tastes better when you make it up to 1 week ahead. You can add leftover jam to a salad or on a sandwich.
Got hungry? For more recipes, behind the scenes and favourites follow Miss Gingerish on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest
Have you made one of Miss Gingerish’ recipes? I would love to see your kitchen creations! Simply share on social media: tag @missgingerish on Instagram or Twitter