Todays recipe and #missgingerishchallenge comes from a Dutch cookbook. Of course I also wanted to share the recipe I picked in English! If you are interested in pictures or the full review of the cookbook (in Dutch) simply click the flag in the top right corner or follow this link.
Carrot Cake Whoopies
Makes approx. 20 whoopies
- 250g wholemeal
- 1.5 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 120g butter, at room temperature
- 185 g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 275 g carrot, grated
- 125 g dried cranberries
For the cream cheese buttercream
- 120 g cream cheese (I used a lactose-free version)
- 120 g butter
- 450 gr icing sugar
- Sift wholemeal flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt together in a bowl and set aside
- Beat in the bowl of a standing mixer (or with a hand mixer) the butter and brown sugar until light in colour and creamy
- Scrape the sides of the bowl clean with a spatula, then add the eggs one by one
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until well blended
- Mix the flour mixture, grated carrots and cranberries through the butter. Now and then clean the sides of the bowl by scraping and whisk until well blended
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat
- Use an ice cream scoop (very easy!) or 2 tablespoons to form 40 piles of the batter, 4-5 cm each, and place on the baking sheet. Make sure the batter piles are 4 cm apart so that they can lightly flow
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until they spring back when gently pressed with your finger
- Take the whoopies from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove them from the baking sheet and let them cool completely on a wire rack
- Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a standing mixer on medium speed (or with a hand mixer)
- While on low speed gradually add the icing sugar until fully incorporated
- Beat the mixture on high speed for about 5 minutes until airy and creamy
- Take a whoopies and scoop a little butter cream on the bottom of the cake
- Pick another whoopie of the same size and place on top of the butter cream, like a sandwich. Repeat with all whoopies
Want to join?
Earlier I made a superfoods salad from Leon, delicious fish from Gizzi’s Kitchen Magic, French nonettes from the beautiful “à la mère de famille“, gnocchi from My Little Italy and a breakfast of grilled peaches and vanilla yoghurt by Sophie Dahl. Do you recognize that pile of cookbooks you hardly ever use? Then join me in this challenge, let’s put our cookbooks to use!
How does it work? It’s really simple: pick a cookbook from your shelf and cook a recipe from it. Share a picture of the dish you’ve created on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with the hash tag #missgingerishchallenge and tag @missgingerish.
Of course don’t forget to mention the cookbook and name of the recipe: let’s spread the word and inspire others!